Thursday 22 August 2013

Be Kind

It is the hardest thing in the world to be kind to yourself.A friend of mine told me that I should try harder to be nice to me. I hadn't a clue where to start. Does that mean that I should say please and thank you any time I buy myself groceries or when passing myself the milk? Should I ask myself if I'd like a cup of tea and a chat when I visit my house? Should I make sure to remember my birthday and surprise me with a homemade birthday cake?



Without being too ridiculous, what I say above isn't too far off the mark! I found it very hard to get my head around this. Taking time to pamper myself or rest or eat something sweet or buy a new dress just because or go for a walk or just tell myself that I'm doing well-I felt that there was always a certain guilt or vanity or pride in being self-indulgent. But I'd never begrudge anyone else doing those things, in fact, I'd admire them! It's so important to treat yourself with the same respect that you would a friend or family member and I'm pretty sure that the world could never suffer from too much kindness!

I don't thank myself for buying food, after all, I have to eat! But I make sure to buy healthy, nutritious food that my body will thank me for-it's kind to be healthy for yourself. Find the time to sit down and ponder on your busy life while having a brew-you owe it to yourself to take a breather and make sure you're on the right path. Buy yourself little treats every now and then-it's a reward for all the work you've been doing lately, or a pick-me-up when you've had a bad day.


Retail therapy...
I didn't quite know what motivation was behind my blogging up until now. What meaning or use could posting photos of clothes and travels and concerts and interior decor possibly have? If anything it looks pretentious and fake. I've come to realise from my last post that that's not the case. I post about things that make me happy-I love shopping; I love a bargain; I love music and art and dressing up; I love having nice things and a place to put them; I love beautiful views and travelling and concerts; I love meeting new people and coffee and eating out. I'm forced to do something kind for myself if I am to have anything to post about.

And isn't it nice to have a reminder of those times;"Yes, I remember that day that I went to the park in the sunshine and took pictures among the flowers of that gorgeous dress that I found for a fiver ". It's a beautiful image and perhaps a happy memory that can help you through a sad or bored moment. It documents your little achievements in pictures and gives you the confidence to say-"You, know what, I like the way I live"



This week, I have brought myself out to coffee on more than one occasion-I pick a cookie or a scone or a sandwich, I find myself the most comfortable spot; not too bright, not too dark; not too warm but away from draughty doors; not too crowded but enough background noise to let me get lost in my book for a while. And then I'm recharged to get back to life again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

LinkWithin