Wednesday 25 June 2014

100 Days of Healthy Healing

I have, ashamedly, yet to commit to making significant changes to my diet in the attempt to boost my mental resilience. Save for the obvious culprits such as caffeine, sugar and on occasion - alcohol, I really can say, hand on heart, that I have made no effort to change my eating habits. It's been sausage rolls, crisps, cheese and takeaways all the way. This really is a crime as we all know that diet is the one thing that we can control and something that has a naturally positive effect on our mood.
Healthy home cooking - chickpea burgers and salad



I have recently undertaken the Facebook initiative of "100 Happy Days" whereby I posted (religiously, it must be said) a picture of something, someone or some event that made me happy for 100 consecutive days. As my Happy Days task shall be completed this Monday, 30th of June, I have decided that I have shown myself that I at least have 100 days staying power. Which leads me to another challenge which will hopefully be just as fruitful in the search for happiness, if not more so.

100 Healthy Days. Whether it be meals, snacks, amount of water drank, lengths of pool swam, minutes spent running, sets of crunches, early nights - I shall document it. Before I was searching for things to be grateful and happy for, this time I will strive to replace bad habits with good ones and hopefully heal my physical and mental well-being on the way. Which still leads to happy, am I right?


Staying Active!
Ever the quiet and shy younger sister (and definitely not one to volunteer wisdom too often, in my experience!), she particularly surprised me today when I shared with her my new planned venture. Her advice is what I shall carry with me through this new challenge:

"Don't count calories where fruit, veg and complex carbs are concerned. Your brain needs to be nourished and they are the only thing that will do that properly as the brain runs on glucose. Cut out fats and refined sugar. And drink loads of water(3l a day); you  need to hydrate your brain also and get rid of toxins fast. Seriously, don't starve your body of beautiful, healthy, happy calories, only cutting out ugly fat loses calories! Calories have a bad name but your body does need them to function, especially your brain! Which is what you're obviously focusing on. The water thing really helps too, I've been drinking loads and my metabolism has definitely sped up and helps keep my brain nice and gooey and soft!
Lovely brain water!

It's a habit thing as well. I only want smoothies in the morning now and the  more water I drink the more I actually need it and want it! Salt is something you should cut down on if you have a lot. Bread is a sneaky source of it and sauces usually are but you can get low sodium ones if need be. It might sound like there's a lot to cut down but it's about helping your body to heal and not feeding your depression. Which is only ever going to be a positive thing!"

She's a wise one, I'll give her that! ;)

I'm thinking of making this an Instagram challenge only this time, but do let me know if you'd rather see it on Facebook if it helps some of you along - it would be great to get us all eating and exercising our way to happy! :) 


Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

LinkWithin